Re: tabbing through the active elements

Marja,

You have to consider how this practice developed.  The screen reader users
didn't analyze a problem, pick a strategy for solving the problem, and code
tools to support the strategy.

The common practice of tabbing arount the page as a way of getting oriented
is based on the following points, AFAIK:

- screen readers had "read what is highlighted" function

- browsers had tab from link to link function.  Continuing tradition of
tabbing around form fields, also c.f. Gopher/Lynx UIs.

- link text advertises what you can do at that link

- links are pretty much what you can do in HTML.  "What can I _do_?" is a
query which is a good concentrator (summary extractor) for both what the
author is thinking and what the visitor wants.

- hence, reading link text of the links semi-works as a summary of the page.

- hence, tabbing through links with screen reader in "read highlight" mode
semi-works as page skim/explore strategy.  [Until there are 22 icons for a
navigation button bar with no ALT text as the first 22 links on the page...]

As the only thing that semi-worked consistently for many pages, it became a
widely adopted behavior on the part of the users.

It's more a matter of frustration and trying to find _anything_ which
_begins_ to explain what the page is about than any master plan.  One has
to have experienced the alternatives to understand the attraction of this
browse strategy.

Anything we ask all browsers to do should share the following
characteristics with the above scenario:

- function is extremely robust
- taps a latent consistency, a de_facto pattern or structure that authors
often follow

Al