FW: FW: Draft for UA Techniques 7.3 SMIL

I asked Geoff to comment
--Jim
-----Original Message-----
From: Geoff Freed [mailto:Geoff_Freed@wgbh.org]
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 1999 12:14 PM
To: allan_jm@tsb1.tsbvi.edu
Subject: Re: FW: Draft for UA Techniques 7.3 SMIL

        Reply to:   RE>FW: Draft for UA Techniques 7.3 SMIL

hi, jim:  here are a few comments:

>Support accessibility features defined by W3C Recommendations for SMIL.
>Accessible presentation means here that the information can be easily
>accessed by using different media and that the user can easily control
>whether to show the information or not.

don't you mean "accessed by using different methods"?  "different media"
makes it sound like i can turn video into audio and vice versa.

> - Support an interface for turning captions on and off. Captions are
>defined either by using "system-overdub-or-caption" attribute with value
>"caption" or "system-captions" attribute with value "on". If
>"system-captions" attribute has value "off" then what?

as i understand it, "system-captions=off" means that you can never turn on a
caption track.  but if an author has gone through the trouble of supplying a
caption track, then why would he even USE "system-captions=off"?  and if the
author didn't create a caption track, what's the use of
"system-captions=off"?  i guess it sounds like something that can be tossed.
perhaps i don't understand its use...

>- When captions are shown support a caption region.  According to user
>preferences this could be embedded in the SMIL layout or shown in a
>separate window.

i definitely agree here.  the G2 forces the author to define a text region
in which to display the captions.  but the guideline above is also confusing
to me-- are you saying that the user should have control over where the
captions are displayed?  if so, i'd also lobby for having the authors always
supply a default location in case the user doesn't care where the captions
are displayed or doesn't know how to determine their location.