Re: minor points for clarification

Kitch Barnicle wrote:

> Hi Ian and Jon,

Hi Kitch,

Thanks for the comments.

> In reviewing the February 10th version of the guidelines I came across a
> few items that may need clarification.
>
> Feb 10th version http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/WD-WAI-USERAGENT-19990210/
>
> 1. When the term "override" is used in section 5.1, as in "override
> animation rates", "audio playback rate", "font family", etc, does it mean
> that the user agent should support the user's preferred value? I just
> wonder if we should use the word control instead of override. The word
> control appears in the introduction for this section.

I will clarify this.

> 2. Section 5.2.3 [Priority 3]  When null alternative text has been defined,
> suppress the rendering of the alternative representation.
>
> I am not sure what this checkpoint means. Is rendering "null alternative
> text" different from rending nothing or would the previous checkpoint,
> 5.2.2 "When no alternative text representation is available, indicate what
> type of object is present." be invoked and the object type would be rendered?

Denis' comment in this thread is accurate and I will
reword the related checkpoints as follows:

5.2.2: When no alternative text representation has
       been specified, indicate what type of object is present.

5.2.3: When alternative text has been specified explicitly
       as empty (i.e., an empty string), render nothing.

> 3. Section 5.2.4 [Priority 1]  Allow the user to choose from among
> available audio tracks.
>
> Would this checkpoint come into play when for example, one audio track has
> captions and another does not?  If so, wouldn't we need the same checkpoint
> in the video section so users can choose  among the videos with captions or
> descriptions if available?

Please propose wording for an appropriate checkpoint to the list.

Thanks again,

Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)
Tel/Fax: (212) 684-1814
http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs