From: w3c-wai-ua-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ua-request@w3.org]On Behalf
Of Neal Ewers
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 1999 11:10 AM
To: Jon Gunderson; mark novak; w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Subject: Re: comments on section 4

Almost every day, I get a call from someone who wants to use the web but
has never laid their hands on a computer and will likely not do so if they
can't figure out how to use either the computer or the software on the
computer.  So I have to ask, where do these persons fit in the priority of
needing documentation for a user agent they no nothing about and thus can
not use said agent to read the documentation.  This is a bit of a catch 22
is it not?  If you can't use the agent, you can't read the documentation.
If you can read the documentation, you can't use the agent.  What should I
tell all the people who call wanting internet access?  I could tell them
that they have to learn to use the agent in order to read about how to use
the agent, but I don't think they will do it.  I don't think some of them
can do it.  So, Do I really have to tell them that we think it is a
priority two and they are just out of luck?

I don't mean to be harsh about this, but I think this is exactly what we
are saying.  I understand the need to get our priorities in order.  But I'm
still at a loss as to how to reconcile the fact that a person's only
ability to learn about the agent is a priority two.