RE: Importance Of The DOM for Making the WWW An Accessible Platform

Raman,

I think the message from the Wednesday Telecon was clear, and in part
supports what you are saying.  The manufacturers of AT devices were
virtually uniform in saying that they did not want to have to "special case"
each type of application: use one approach for browsers, a second for word
processors, and yet another for spread sheets.  They did not feel that DOM
gave them enough control over the application, but also that MSAA did not
give enough information about the document.

This suggests, although it is beyond the scope of this group, that what is
needed is a universal API that would provide information about, and
programmatic control of, the application, and information about, and the
ability to manipulate, the document that is contained within the
application.

In a previous message I suggested that the issues that are addressed by MSAA
are probably not substantially different from those of Java Accessibility,
and would not be entirely platform specific.  Hence, developments to the API
on one platform would suggest functionality that ought to be provided on
other platforms.

The bottom line, which is relevant, I think, to this working group, is that
exposing the DOM is probably not an adequate solution.  What is needed is
information about the document (perhaps via the DOM) and information about
the program, perhaps through an extension to MSAA, or similar interface.
But the DOM working group should consider how to make the DOM extensible, so
that other applications can use compatible information, thus minimizing
special casing of applications.

Denis Anson, MS, OTR