Re: Technique or Checkpoint

This was posted to UA because I was suggesting UA look at including access
to information wich can be encoded within graphics (etc) standards (such
as GIF.)

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

  Actually, it sounds like a checkpoint to me - a thing which Authoring
  Tools "should" do to significantly increase the accesibility of the end
  product. It is certainly not a priority 1. Techniques for this include
  supporting the use of standards which allow information to be encoded with
  it (such as GIF), as well as asking User Agent Guidelines to consider
  providing access to that information.

  Charles McCN

  On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Kynn Bartlett wrote:

    At 03:52 p.m. 02/11/99 -0500, Jutta Treviranus wrote:
    >Should the point about "Including professionally written descriptions for
    >all multimedia files (e.g., clip art) packaged with the software"
    >be a checkpoint and therefore something that must or should be done or
    >should it be a technique and therefore a suggested way of fulfilling the
    >guideline 2.6?

    This sounds like a technique to me.

    The principle is:

        "Make it easy for users to suply alternative text."

    The technique is:

        "...by including default descriptions for things you give them."

    Anyone have suggested working for the checkpoint, though?

    Six Principles of Accessible Web Design:         http://www.kynn.com/+six
    Spring 1999 Virtual Dog Show!                     http://www.dogshow.com/
    Enroll now for my web accessibility course    http://www.kynn.com/+access

  phone: +1 617 258 0992   http://purl.oclc.org/net/charles