From: Jon Gunderson [mailto:jongund@staff.uiuc.edu]
Sent: Friday, January 29, 1999 6:36 AM
To: Charles Oppermann; w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Subject: RE: PROPOSAL: Checkpoints related to TABLE accessibility

I don't think they need to think of DOM as a special case, just a different
case or representation of information being rendered.  Your demonstrations
of the intergration of HTML into a wide variety of applications at the F2F
meetings would indicate that the is a place for a content model like DOM.
As XML is developed the DOM model will probably become even more important.

Jon

At 01:16 PM 1/28/99 -0800, Charles Oppermann wrote:
>The flip side is asking accessibility aid vendors to special case DOM and
>HTML.  This special code would then only work for HTML presentation.
>
>It's interesting to note that accessibility aids using Active Accessibility
>do not need to alter the visual display, but that screen readers
>manipulating the Dynamic object model actually force specific visual
changes
>to occur on the screen, so that the information can be read off the screen.

1207 S. Oak Street
Champaign, IL 61820

Voice: 217-244-5870
Fax: 217-333-0248