PLEASE REVIEW: Tables and conformance proposal (A)

From: Hans Riesebos <HRiesebos@alva-bv.nl>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 09:49:55 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Dear Jon,
I'm still following all the discussions and I am keeping quiet
mostly because all is heading in the right direction. Making
comments is not always effective.
Here are some remarks:

Checkpoint 6.1.4 [Priority 1]: Fully implement the Document
Object Model Level 1.
<<<
I especially like the priority 1 for DOM level one. DOM has an
enormous potential, not only to the accessibility community.

I understand both the weakness and the power in standards.
With DOM, I believe it will gain acceptance. Ultimately DOM
will also further the separation between structure and
contents (this may take a while). The concept of some object
model is obviously more acceptable than the DOM level 1
(must be level 2 and up in the future).

Checkpoint 6.2.7: [Priority 1]: Provide a means for the user
to execute a
script at the end of loading (onload event in HTML 4.0
specification) and
document changed (may not be defined in current W3C
standards) events.
<<<
With executing scripts I do not see the future. Scripts have a
way of obstructing other scripts. There is a potential chaos
(or anarchy?) in scripts. I think priority 2 is more appropriate.

Checkpoint 5.5.3 [Priority 1]: Allow users to navigate
between structural elements of the document.
<<<
I find this a very important one (and powerful). The rational
is important for it makes clear the power of it.

Hans Riesebos (HRiesebos@alva-bv.nl)
Research & Development
ALVA BV
ARNHEM, The Netherlands