Re: Guideline 4 - control rendering

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> Guideline 4. The first 5 checkpoints cover medium-specific information, and
> it would seem possible to combine them and the rendering of alternative >content.

The topics are: images, background images, video, sound, captions.

Background images: I think this not an alt content issue: it's about
                   inability to see text (for example) against a
                   certain background.

Captions: This is mostly about alt content and could be in guideline 6.

Images, video, sound: I can see wanting to turn them on/off to get
  them out of the way (reduce distraction) or speed up downloads.
  But can someone provide a good answer to how they "reduce"
  accessibility? (The guideline is about that.)

> Given that a user will have access to alternative content, (which
> has to be a P1 requirement), I'm not sure why there is a need to turn off
> images, although I can understand the need to turn them on.

How about a situation where you want to get back screen
real estate (e.g., using screen magnifier) so you turn off images?

>  (4.6, 4.7, and
> 4.8 deal with particular problems which should probably remain separated
> out).
>
> Again, I am not sure of the value of being able to urn off the rendering of
> frames, although I can see value in being able to configure the way in which
> they are rendered (It is possible to deal with them as separate windows in
> some browsers, for example)

I see your point. I think the goal is access to the frame's content
(covered by another checkpoint). One technique is linearization,
which may or may not happen when you turn off the frames.

 _ Ian

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814