RE: Titles for <ABBR> & <ACRONYM> (fwd)

At 11:23 PM 6/20/99 -0400, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>I'm not sure where this suggestion fits. Probably as a technique for
>orientation or for structure navigation.

This would have been a good point to coordinate with the UA group earlier.
It is possible GL made a mistake based on inadequate examination of the UA
issues.  [mistake in not asking for TITLE on all occurrences]

There is a technique here but it is in the class of dictionary services or
on-the-fly schema extension, not the areas you describe.  This is enriching
the schema in the area of atomic (leaf-level) components, not structural
forms.

An illustrative example could take the form:

<ABBR title="International Standards Organisation" class="definition"
cite="http://www.iso.org/">ISO</ABBR>

where <... class="definition"> is a flag indicating that other uses of ABBR
with the _same content_ should inherit the other attributes as used here.

Asking the User Agent to parse the element content below the markup level
and as here to compare content between different nodes in the parse tree is
work that the User Agent would like to avoid doing as a general rule
(severity understated).

If we don't flag the annotated instance with something like <...
class="definition"> the User Agent is left to implement a rule that "ABBR
and ACRONYM instances that share content share attributes" and that may be
more checking that we can negotiate without a better general agreement for
multilevel partial understanding of the document content than what we have
at the moment.

Al