Fast setup keyboard controls

At 12:30 PM 18-08-98 -0100, cltrar@login.dknet.dk (Claus Thoegersen) wrote:
>In article <199808141356.IAA20198@staff1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
>Jon Gunderson <jongund@staff.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>>Response to Claus Thøgersen.
>>We need to keep the mind the naive user.

>Do you mean that the possibility of reconfiguring keys placement will
>be a threat to the naive user? If this is the case then you can
>simply make it hard to make these adjustments, e.g. require the user
>to use a special commandline swich to load an alternative
>configuration, and "hide" the help topics that discusses these
>possibilities under advanced settings.

Hi,

I think the goal of the Group is to make all computers easy to use for
disabled people. Extensive configuration decreases that possibility. More
importantly I believe the Group has the knowledge to recommend 3 or 4 (maybe
8) QWERTY keyboard options covering the needs of almost all disabled people.
After 11 years of DOS & Windows (& 9 years CP/M before that) computing with
5 macro programs I'm totally at ease with making new keyboard controls. Yet
it would have been *much* better to have things more laid out. It would be
great to let buyers make changes once there is a solid base to build on.
Newcomers (& disabled people using a different computer) should be able to
reach a reasonable level of usability in minutes. Keyboard profiles that
blend various platforms to disabled buyers will be most helpful for a great
"Out of Box Experience"! More customization could follow as familiarity grows.

Regards,
Bryan

-> "Just because we call it the Web does not mean its supposed to tangle
people up!"