Re: Where's the math?

At 05:53 PM 07/02/1998 +0200, Daniel Dardailler wrote:

>I'm still confused. It's important that we understand your point, so
>let me ask again.
>
>MathML is a simple W3C XML tagset, and access to the specification is
>public (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-MathML).
>
>Access to the source of the documents using MathML on the Web should
>be fairly similar to access to source of documents using HTML today:
>MathML is the format being sent by the server, so if you're a UA, you
>have it, if you're a user, your UA should give you a "Show Page
>Source" menu to give access to it.
>
>Access to the parsed MathML should come thru an API like DOM (W3C
>Document Object Model), which works with XML in general.
>
>What is your issue then ?

Oh my.  This all started because I didn't understand how your user agent
guidelines could be expanded to include good access to math, and I was
hoping that the group could enlighten me.

Please correct me if I misunderstand, but your recommendations are
apparently a list of user options and a list of good practices to ensure
that user agents work well with access technologies.

I can personally imagine only one way that your paradigm can include math.
That is to give the user an option to represent the math in a linear form.
Screen readers can be given a symbol dictionary that will pronounce the
math and markup symbols correctly.

There sure are many better ways to display math in audio than this (ask
Raman).  But none of the methods I know or can imagine can be accomplished
in your user option/access technology paradigm.

So apparently it is I, not daniel, who is confused.  Please enlighten me.

John