Re: Identifying D-links with "rel"

I like 2 from Daniel's options and would vote for it.

I would like to define an additional relationship (rel) for navigation
anchors.  Anchors marked as "nav" or something similar could be collected
by the UA and presented as a list to users on demand for quick access to
navigation links.

Jon

At 03:02 PM 6/8/1998 +0200, Daniel Dardailler wrote:

>There is a strong dependency between what we say in GL (and AU of
>course) and what we say in UA.
>
>For GL, we have several options:
>
> 0- "use LONGDESC" and "use (loosely defined) dlink"
> 1- "use LONGDESC"
> 2- "use LONGDESC" and "use <A rel=dlink>D</A>"
> 3- "use LONGDESC" and "use <A class=waidlink>D</A>"
>
>0 is current GL.
>
>We can assume that if we go with 1, people who really want to provide
>dlink will include them anyway, with no rel or class: markup free
>style, which is not much different than 0. So to me 0 == 1 really.
>
>If GL goes with 0 or 1, there is nothing we can say in UA about dlink.
>
>Nir convinced me that authors who wants to hide their dlinks can use
>any class they want (e.g. class=hide).
>
>As Jon reminded us, there is a potential use for a better speficied
>dlink for OBJECT, where we don't have a LONGDESC.
>
>e.g.
>
> <OBJECT data=foo.gif>
>   This is a short desc for a foo (<A href=foo.htm rel=dlink>long
>   description</A> available)
> </OBJECT>
>
>This way the UI can use the same shortcut to access IMG LONGDESC and
>these (otherwise guessed upon) dlinks.
>
>So for reason of consistency, I favor option 2 for GL and a mention in
>UA that UA should make their best effort to not present twice the
>access to LONGDESC and rel=dlink and to use the same user interface to
>accessing the OBJECT rel=dlink and the IMG long description.

1207 S. Oak Street
Champaign, IL 61820

Voice: 217-244-5870
Fax: 217-333-0248