Re: Working Draft Formatting Issues

Daniel Dardailler wrote:

> > The following is a new table of contents for the browser document:
> > 1.0 Introduction
> > 2.0 General Principles of accessible design
> > 3.0 Assistive Technology
> > 4.0 Parts of a Browser User Agent
> > 5.0 Interaction with a document
> > 6.0 CSS Support
> > 7.0 Presentation
> > 8.0 Orientation
> > 9.0 Navigation
> > 10.0 Visibility
> > 11.0 Operating System Aceessibility Compatibility
>
> I think 2,3,4,5 (even though I don't know the exact content) could be
> folded into one background section, so that people that *knows* about
> this stuff can jump directly into the guideliens per se.

Ok.

> I'd like 6.0 to be more "Format Support" or "Standard Support",
> something that would include more that just CSS, but also HTML, and
> maybe more later.
> I fact, it could include 11.0 and be a "Capability" section: support
> html4, css, local os stuff, etc.

Yes, the latter sounds good. I brought up CSS explicitly
because

(1) there are some guidelines that only make sense
    for UAs that implement CSS; these guidelines should be
    grouped together (at least I think for the moment, although
    experience will determine whether this organization works).

(2) there are concepts like "default values" that are well-defined
    in CSS (defaults cascade with author and user style sheets) and
    so a general term like "UA defaults" should be defined with
    the CSS meaning in mind, and should be consistent with it, even
    if the definition does not rely on the notion of style sheets.

Ian Jacobs / 401 Second Ave. #19G / New York, NY 10010 USA
Tel/Fax: (212) 684-1814          Email: jacobs@w3.org