Re: A PERMALINK TO MOST RECENT VERTIONS OF THE W3C

Hi Lucy,

Yeah, it is a battle to get policies that recognise things that can change.

Maybe it will help in the battle if you explicitly set milestones for
update - e.g. "When a draft of WCAG is published as a Candidate
Recommendation, we will begin a policy refresh. At the later of N months,
or when the Candidate Recommendation version is published as a
Recommendation, the policy requirement will be to meet the new version".

This means

- you aren't left a decade behind the best practice we can get consensus
on, and gives time to update when there is a new version.
- the people who are meant to work on this don't have to change their
systems and processes on one day with no warning.
- your implementation experience can usefully produce feedback if you're
doing a good job and starting to implement the update as a learning
process.

Candidate Recommendation is a good stage to be looking at how to implement
the policy update.

The point of choosing "the later of N months or publication of a
Recommendation" means that there is a minimum time to adapt, but if the
Recommendation isn't finished by then (e.g. because feedback led to further
changes and a new Candidate Recommendation) you don't set the policy target
as something that is still being changed.

Cheers

--
Charles 'Chaals' Nevile
Lead Standards Architect, ConsenSys Inc