From: Pyatt, Elizabeth J <ejp10@psu.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2024 7:34 AM
To: Deborah Dinzes <Deborah.Dinzes@becu.org>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: question regarding printed PDF documents

You don't often get email from ejp10@psu.edu<mailto:ejp10@psu.edu>. Learn why this is important<https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification>
EXTERNAL MESSAGE!

Caution: This message originated outside of BECU. Please do not open attachments or click links from an unknown or suspicious source. Report suspicious emails by clicking on the Report Email button.

________________________________
The IT Accessibility Office at Penn State consulted with General Counsel on this issue, and it was determined that a digital signature option, similar to the ones outlined by other people are sufficient in most cases.

Every situation is different legally,  but I would add that signing paper forms can be a challenge for many users regardless of disabilities.  I don't have a printer at home and no longer have access to one at work either.  Signing a paper copy is now a bit of hassle for me. It requires me to either

* Print it at the UPS Store (by a clerk) - not great if I have to include sensitive information like my social security number.
* Go to a library with a public printer (if one is close enough)
* Get it done in person at a bank or other facility with a printer - At least I can drive, but I have to make an appointment.
* Insert a signature image in Adobe Acrobat with an image and hope the other party is happy with that.

As others have noted, it's even more of a burden if you are not able to drive. Providing viable online options (including a secure online form) has been helpful for a lot of people.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Elizabeth