From: Ginger Claassen <ginger.claassen@gmx.de>
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2024 9:53 AM
To: ML W3C, WAI <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Subject: Inactive buttons, contrast and accessibility

Good Morning everybody,

We have a rather difficult issue in a web portal.

There is a login form and the question is now what to do about the submit button if one of the fields user name or password has not been filled.

Do we make the button inactive i.e. contrast does not meet WCAG and remove it from tab-order or do we keep it in tab-order and provide a tool tip why it is inactive and what to do about the contrast in the latter case?

Sighted users would think the button is an interactive element if we fulfill contrast requirements.

I am looking forward for some helpful input here!

Thanks and solong

     Ginger