Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Skipped headings

To answer your question Benjamin I would say I have no hard and fast rules. It depends on the specifics of the situation including the complexity of the content and the use cases. I am usually dealing with web applications that may include things like a list of available media, a media player, a filtering tool a notation tool, and other things all on the one page, all laid out visually clearly but with no headings, or at least no headings on the functional areas. Sometimes it just seems that hidden headings would be helpful. I don't think the existence of landmarks really changes anything since screen reader users very frequently rely on headings for efficient navigation and very rarely use landmarks for the same.

Mark
________________________________
From: Benjamin Love <benjamin.james.love@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday 29 March 2024 01:07
To: Mark Magennis <Mark.Magennis@skillsoft.com>
Cc: Adam Cooper <cooperad@bigpond.com>; Benjamin Love <benjamin.love@seewritehear.com>; David Richter <david.richter@seewritehear.com>; Tammy Burdick <tammy.burdick@seewritehear.com>; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Skipped headings

You don't often get email from benjamin.james.love@gmail.com. Learn why this is important<https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification>
Mark,

Yes, I agree with your summary of general scenarios and approach to “visually hidden” headings, though I will say I do not encounter such “need” in more recent years.

However, would you agree that such applications of headings should only be used in UI layout design (note, we are now distinguishing between narrative that lives within a main region from web interface architecture that most often (should?) only frame the document main, but is not a part of it) to denote meaningfulness of “layout” content and if and only if a natively supported “identifier”/“label” is not already supported or useful, as in semantic landmarks or other element types?

I have only really ever encountered the scenario you describe outside main, where something like multiple divisions of aside content are applied and it would be confusing without labeling to understand the meaningfulness of the content in context.

In my opinion (just opinion based on experience), outside some approaches to apply H1 outside main, I stay clear of using document headings to “label” UI architecture, applying only to the document main. Very interested to learn competing opinions on this position.

But even within main, are headings always necessary? In designing applications, with a more functional, focused purpose, rather than more information driven content, I find headings are not always necessary at all. HTML specification provides a lot of help here (nothing near as complexly engineered as the TEI!, but still…).

Again, my original reply was to address whether the “rules” of headings would stand up to praxis-level examples, which I do believe they do?

Ben