Re: 2.4.7 Focus Visible

Adam Cooper just told me that Britain makes no reference to WCAG, yes it
does Adam.

Public Sector Bodies (Website and Mobile Applications) Accesibility
Regulations, 2018
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/accessibility-requirements-for-public-sector-websites-and-apps

WCAG AA is considered the gold standard for equalities legislation in most
of the developed world for "Making a website or mobile app accessible means
making sure it can be used by as many people as possible." and yet there is
a significant problem with the visual requirements in that visually
impaired may only benefit if they use a keyboard.

Why it appears to have been so controversial to ask for an advisory, along
the same lines as the "Accessibility Concerns" clearly stated on MDN
regarding suppression of visible focus mouse response to controls,
continues to baffle.

So we have what is regularly called the "gold standard" AA criteria, the
definition of prestigious, but MDN notes "Accessibility Concerns" for the
what would be a passing grade in that standard for 2.4.7 and 2.4.3.

The disconnect here is that keyboard use is associated with motor
disabilities, yet 2.4.7 and 2.4.3 is a criteria claimed also for visual and
cognitive disabilities.

*"Focus Visible: Any keyboard operable user interface has a mode of
operation where the keyboard focus indicator is visible. (Level AA)"*

But it continues - "*Focus visible is very important for low vision users,
... & attention disorders"* [who are unlikely to be using the keyboard] - a
point that is still not disputed in this discussion.

I suspect that the above disconnect hasn't been appreciated by disability
groups yet given the complexity of the WCAG guidelines. I only recently
appreciated it on reviewing code where a developer deliberately suppressed
all focus rings (even focus-visible) except for keyboard navigation and
claimed it met WCAG AA. I suspect we will see more of that.