RE: 2.4.7 Focus Visible

Agreed,, there is definitely a need for people to be able to express their preferences in browsers, but the question becomes how this should be standardised and whether browser manufacturers will come on board with it ...

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2023 10:13 AM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: 2.4.7 Focus Visible

On 11/07/2023 01:04, Adam Cooper wrote:
> There are many things I can think of that should be browser  features and/or exposed through APIs in browsers that could improve accessibility, but filing bugs and waiting seems to be a laborious way to do it ...

Not as laborious as trying to convince every website on the web to make certain changes, or to drop certain approaches, which is something that even just for the humble CSS outline failed for decades (noting that the :focus-visible approach itself was spec'd exactly with the intention of providing a way to be more adaptive/reactive to user needs - now we need a way for users to more directly express their needs in the browser itself - this is similar to parallel discussions about media queries and how users should be able to express their preferences for these in browser settings).

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux https://mastodon.social/@patrick_h_lauke | skype: patrick_h_lauke