Re: 2.4.7 Focus Visible

Hi Juliette,

Yes, I completely agree. I too would rather guide a client towards a
quality focus inidcator.

I am particularly concerned though with how focus-visible operates and the
confusion it has caused. Even Patrick appears not to appreciate how it
operates, suggesting on Firefox a single keyboard use will trigger it for
subsequent mouse clicks.

For the avoidance of doubt, the default behavious of focus-visible is as
follows.

If the control has the potential for keyboard input - e.g. textarea/input
etc, BOTH mouse clicks and keyboard will trigger a visible focus ring
If the control does not have the potential for keyboard input - e.g. a link
or a button, OR it is a custom control whether or not it supports keyboard
input, ONLY non-pointing (e.g. keyboard) devices will trigger focus-visible
classes.
If scripting causes focus to move from a previously focus-visible item,
then the newly focused item will also be focus-visible

So already we have a divergence with the WCAG guidelines in the case of
controls which support keyboard input where mouse clicks will also show a
visible focus.

A can of worms doesn't even begin to describe the conditions under which
focus-visible will and will not show a visible focus ring. I am sure most
developers are unaware of the nuances of its operation. Browsers
manufacturers are also free to choose their own criteria for the above
resulting in different behaviour which is, in my opinion, also not
compatible with accessibility guidelines, which should be consistent.