Re: Autocomplete privacy on kiosks

On 01/03/2023 13:38, Kelly Childs wrote:
> This is how I understand it. However, I am still getting push-back about
> the security of it so I wanted to be sure that I was not missing anything
> here.

This seems to me to be browser dependent.  I suspect the only way to be
completely safe is to reset the browser's persistent data files between
users and restart the browser.  For Firefox, these will include the
user's profile directory tree and the cache, if held elsewhere.  (I'm
not sure whether browsers typically degrade gracefully if you make the
relevant resources read only.)

Browsers may have some options to help, but looking at Firefox, kiosk
mode means forced full screen, not an isolation level, and, although you
can force it into private mode, which should stop field values being
captured, I don't think it will prevent a user storing a bookmark, which
may reveal information.

I'm also not sure whether privacy mode prevents caching, as the
existence of cached pages may give an indication as to whether
particular parameters were used in the past.