Re: Further clarification on 'communicating meaning' with respect to alt text and color contrast needed?

On 15/12/2022 06:22, caroline wrote:
> I've heard folks talk about how illustrations
> should have enough color contrast for low-vision users to recognize what it
> is. But the images being discussed weren't communicating anything to the
> user.

The low vision user needs to be able to determine that the image is not
important.

> Another felt that people should have access to
> the emotion being exuded by the image. Hearing this, I'm inclined to think
> that it would depend on the context, like whether there is value in the
> person being informed that a person is smiling.

As I've said before, advertisers use such details of images to make
product benefit statements that wouldn't be allowed in speech or writing.