RE: Is the escape key sufficient as a method for WCAG 2.1.2 No Keyboard Trap

Are the elements in the dropdown natively (tab) focusable? That is, is the dropdown a list of links or similar? If so, then also presuming that appropriate role semantics for items in this dropdown have not been applied … in which case, it may also fail 4.1.2. otherwise, sequential tab focus can only be achieved using JS.

From: Greg Jellin <greg@gregjellin.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2022 1:31 PM
To: Adam Cooper <cooperad@bigpond.com>; 'Quentin Christensen' <quentin@nvaccess.org>
Cc: 'Wai-Ig' <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Is the escape key sufficient as a method for WCAG 2.1.2 No Keyboard Trap

Adam, you may be happy to know that the pattern in question does also allow navigating the list via arrow keys, in addition to tab, and that enter/space and click all select the focused option. IMO, the pattern is quite usable for keyboard-only and SR users, but I agree that eliminating tabbing from the listbox would allow users to more easily move onto the next element.

Greg