From: Bristow, Alan <Alan.Bristow@elections.ca>
Sent: Tuesday, December 6, 2022 9:07 AM
To: Tom Shaw <tom-shaw@hotmail.com>; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Alt text and SEO

Hi Tom, Generally speaking, hiding content and exposing it in a special way "for SEO", can lead to problems. Google, and other search engines (SEs), use their proprietary and much protected AI and other crawling intelligence to look
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart
This Message Is From an External Sender
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd

Hi Tom,

Generally speaking, hiding content and exposing it in a special way "for SEO", can lead to problems.

Google, and other search engines (SEs), use their proprietary and much protected AI and other crawling intelligence to look for pages trying to nefariously "game the system". When a page is innocently trying to do something "special" to better SEO, the SEs tech' may interpret this as a "bad" actor and lower the rank of the page.

Generally, natural is healthy and good. If an image provides meaning, then it is included and is described with ALT etc. It is decorative if you deem it as unimportant to the meaning of the content -- without the image the content would have the same impact.

So providing ALT etc for non-decorative images is good for all users, including SE bots, and cleanly treating as decorative images that are indeed decorative, is best for all audiences.

Regards,

from Alan
Alan Bristow ( he / him / il )
Web Developer / Développeur Web