Re: Link text that does not contain the file type

On 15/11/2022 23:41, Adam Cooper wrote:
> the use cases for linking to document files are limited and typically
> reflect redundant and labyrinthine business processes

The original use case for HTML (as against pre-existing hypertext
document formats) was its ability to point to resources in other
formats!  It was a merging of hypertext with gopher, which was basically
just links and titles, and would normally point to non-gopher resources.

Whilst I can see the argument that PDF files are even more likely to be
produced without regard to accessibility than HTML, and possibly have
less assistive technology support, by suggesting it is wrong to link to
things other than HTML, you are denying the origins of HTML.

My general impression is that PDF is often used for documents with deep
content (white papers, user instructions, IC datasheets, etc.), whereas
HTML is often used for advertising material.