Re: Link text that does not contain the file type

On 14/11/2022 20:26, Tom Shaw wrote:
> Hi all.
>

> *Example:*
> *
> *
> A link entitled:
>
> Swansea Construction Look Ahead – November 2022 - with the plain text
> PDF 820kb underneath the link. There is sometimes a debate that this
> would fail 2.4.4 links  (A) due to the destination of the like going to
> a document not being clear for screen reader users although I am not
> entirely convinced. As far as I'm concerned, the link text is descriptive?

To me, that's a case of "ambiguous to everybody" ... no user is informed
that it's a PDF that this links to. As a best practice, sure, give some
hint about what you're linking to - if it's something other than another
web page. But I'd say this would not fail 2.4.4.

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux