From: "Bristow, Alan" <Alan.Bristow@elections.ca>
Date: Thursday, November 10, 2022 at 10:52 AM
To: Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com>, John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>, Brooks Newton <brooksallennewton@gmail.com>
Cc: WAI-IG <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Query regarding 1.3.4

EXTERNAL: Use caution when clicking on links or opening attachments.

Apologies for chiming in here, I replied way down at the bottom of the thread and I am no doubt not as qualified to cover detail and history here as others are, but, I am surprised that in these two scenarios..:

WEB TEAM 1 codes a page poorly, with a strange META VIEWPORT setting, or a JavaScript issue, or odd CSS, take your pick -- a webpage form works in either orientation, but change orientation and content is visually unuseable as it is obscured in some way, due to a bug with META, JS, or CSS.

WEB TEAM 2 does the same, but with no errors. Change orientation and the page reflows correctly.

..SC 1.3.4 does not [apparently] allow accessibility auditors to fail the first page. If it does not allow then, then SC 1.3.4 seems incomplete or even "wrong".

I understand I am not in a position to understand the history or nuance of how SC 1.3.4 came into being, but I do understand that I would want to have a WCAG SC to hand to point to when the manager of WEB TEAM 1 asks why they need to spend resources fixing this.

PS: Requiring a refresh when transitioning from one orientation to another in order for content to be visually useable seems simply unacceptable; Were I the user and part-way through filling a form, even if the page did not lose what I had entered (many would I suspect), the cognitive load from needing to read an explaination at the top of the page that this is necessary and/or the anxiety that "maybe I will loose my place" or "maybe I will lose what I have entered" are points that melt away, if, SC 1.3.4 does not allow a refresh to be a get out of jail free card (I am not even sure it currently does, I just note that if it does, it shouldn't).

Regards,

Alan
Alan Bristow ( he / him / il )
Web Developer / Développeur Web