Re: Change in context?

Hi Adam,

> On Oct 25, 2022, at 6:03 PM, Adam Cooper <cooperad@bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> Is there a programmatic delay between highlighting an option in the dropdown, the results showing, and the dropdown closing?

The results don’t change until you click (or press enter on) a combobox option (aka “menuitem" in the Chrome accessibility tree). I have not altered the behavior of the combobox. At the moment I have a delay only on the text input filter.

> Does system focus remain on the select once the filtering process is complete?

Yes.

> Is the option element removed from the DOM or the children of the select modified in any way?

Nope. See above.

How are these these questions relevant, or are you simply curious?

> Placing visible text ahead of the select is equivalent to an adjacent button with a sensible label such as 'apply filter' because (presumably) this text is not just for screen reader users.

I might not use that term to describe it, but it does provide valuable information to the user.

> Also, I would suggest that this is a filter because the sample is fathomable and is being reduced rather than the sample being unfathomable as is the case in most searches.

Yes, I mentioned that it is a filter. When I asked about context, there was still some question as to whether the archive listing would be filtered to begin with (e.g., the most recent posts), and whether there would be pagination. So potentially, the displayed content could change significantly, even completely, while at the same time the complete (and partially hidden) set would be reduced.

--
Peter Weil
Web Developer