Re: Placeholder attribute an accessible name?

John,

I'm not going to get into a spitting contest with you on this or any other
issue. That'd be gross, I'm sure.  But, I think there's just a little bit
of value left in participating in this conversation, so I'll say this and
give it a rest from my end.

You misrepresented my logic for removing placeholder values from the
Accessible Name Calculation by using the Strawman fallacy
<https://www.logicalfallacies.org/strawman.html>.  Seatbelts and no cell
phone use in your argument are not parallel to semantic labeling and visual
labeling with the placeholder attribute in my argument. And that difference
makes it easy to deceive readers who may not dig to deep on your claims.
You say wearing seatbelts and not using a cell phone are separate things?
With the placeholder attribute under the current system, the value provides
both a semantically meaningful name and a temporary visual label.   That's
a two-for-one deal right there! This logical relationship between semantics
and visual labeling is distinctly different from your seatbelts and cell
phone example.

To the work-a-day developer who's got all he or she can handle the to-do
list, getting a pass for a form input labeled with a placeholder-only in
automated testing is all of the affirmation needed to pass the labeling
requirements for that input.  I mean after all, there is a visible label
right there in the middle of the text input, right? Here's how I imagine it
working for the vast majority of amatuer testers in the wild: Run the
automated test for SC 4.1.2. Pass.  Look to see if there's a label on the
page. Pass.  No problem.

This is not an ivory tower run-through of concepts I'm drawing on as an
authority, but a real-world exercises in haste and ignorance.  That's real
life, and that's the way it plays out in the trenches, as well you know,
working with production teams who are taxed to the limit trying to meet
ever-shifting demands while learning about accessibility on the go.  Giving
a pass to the only test that is likely to be performed on placeholder
inputs will let a lot of inaccessible content through.  That will
necessarily impact users with cognitive disabilities disproportionately,
and that's why my recommendation is to remove placeholder values from the
Accessible Name Calculation altogether.  That's my logic.  It's pretty
straightforward.  I'm not here to say that placeholder text doesn't satisfy
SC 4.1.2, I'm just here to say that passing SC 4.1.2 and being accessible
are two different concepts that pop up over and over again throughout WCAG
2.x, including this placeholder example.

John, you pulled into the discussion many and varied arguments to overwhelm
the reader <https://www.logicalfallacies.org/shotgun-argumentation.html>.
These arguments are irrelevant to this discussion
<https://www.logicalfallacies.org/red-herring.html>.  I'm not trying to
hurt anyone's feelings, I'm just being honest about issues that are holding
up progress in our field.  Again, I know I'm not alone in this
understanding.

Over and Out,

Brooks Newton
- All opinions are mine alone. And, I reserve the right to change my
opinion through what I learn in this and other forums.