Re: Placeholder attribute an accessible name?

On 24/10/2022 18:37, Brooks Newton wrote:
> Here's the too long, didn't read synopsis of my post.  The primary
> reason to remove placeholder attribute values from the Accessible Name
> Calculation is to ensure clear communication to the consumers of this
> algorithm.  Removal serves to instruct accessibility testing software
> manufacturers and their customers who use the software that inserting
> placeholders alone as form labels will fail a WCAG 2.x assessment.

Note that the consumers of the algorithm are primarily actual browsers,
which use it to decide what to expose in the accessibility tree. Testing
software comes fairly low down in the list of constituencies for the
algorithm, and there really more in terms of testing things "dry" of how
browsers would interpret code.

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux