Re: Placeholder attribute an accessible name?

On 24/10/2022 14:10, Sailesh Panchang wrote:

> I believe, as stated in my last email, that the fallback mechanism is
> for AT makers to support something they might be forced to do to aid
> their users. Is there a documented sufficient technique for use of
> placeholder like there is for label element or aria-labelledby /
> aria-label that developers can turn too?
> Granted the techniques doc says other methods may be used but I
> suppose only after robust testing that those work across target
> platforms and usage scenarios.

Technique are not exhaustive. If there's no technique in WCAG
non-normative documentation, it doesn't mean there aren't other ways of
achieving the outcome of the SC (and since updates to even the
non-normative WCAG docs happens at an often glacial pace, they're really
not a reliable indication of the status quo).

As mentioned, the accessible name computation algorithm includes
language that can be interpreted as saying that placeholder can be used
by the browser (as a measure of last resort) as an attribute that
provides an accessible name to a component in the exposed accessibility
tree. It's not a heuristic for AT makers.

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux