Re: 1.4.12 text spacing

On 28/09/2022 11:25, David Woolley wrote:
> On 28/09/2022 10:49, Patrick H. Lauke wrote:
>> Sure, but the ability to actually set real user styles (rather than
>> injecting extra styles in a document's <head>, like most
>> plugins/extensions do) has been slowly but surely phased out of most
>> browsers.
>
> I thought, in practical terms, they never existed, as hardly any user
> would directly set them.  I thought they were more an abstraction of how
> browser settings could modify the presentation.

Internet Explorer had them
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer/Adding_User_Styles

Apparently it's a legacy feature in Firefox now that can still be
enabled https://www.thoughtco.com/user-style-sheet-3469931

No doubt "Opera did it first", but not sure what current state is.
Wouldn't surprise me if Vivaldi (it's spiritual successor) has something
along those lines.

Don't think Chrome or Safari ever had any user-exposed way of setting
user styles, but I may be wrong. But it's certainly a very niche
feature, even in browsers that did/do still have the feature.

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux