Re: 1.4.12 text spacing

On 27/09/2022 11:05, Ms J wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just wanted to check, if the author is using !important in the CSS so
> blocking certain tooling from easily modifying the page, does this fail
> at all? For example, the tool I use doesn't work to change the word
> spacing, line height and letter spacing, but if I remove '!important'
> from the CSS it works. Is this just a limitation of my tooling? If am
> able to go in and manually override the CSS.
>
> Do we go on the basis that users will have tools which will always
> enable them to override the styles and then test on this basis?

My take here is no, this wouldn't fail, and it's a shortcoming of the
tooling used (I'd assume that if the tool injected its own `!important`,
it would then override the author styles' `!important`). In my mind at
least, this is more about "is it theoretically possible to override
this", and doesn't hinge on the specific tools that users use (otherwise
this would be a moving target of an SC).

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux