Re: Comprehensive WCAG conformance leads to accessibility for all irrespective of the technology used-any statement to prove this legally?

Hello Amar,

I empathize with your situation! I am not involved in the legal aspects of accessibility except peripherally when clients come to us after receiving a complaint, but we regularly have clients who want our shop to 'prove' or show why we are recommending a particular fix and if we don't have documentation to support our recommendation - good luck!

I've been in the field for about 5 years now and my fundamental understanding of WCAG is that it is "technology agnostic". That phrase does not occur in the specification itself, but is used in the W3C press release for WCAG 2.1 [https://www.w3.org/2018/06/pressrelease-wcag21.html.en] under the heading "Continues Evolution of W3C WAI's Authoritative and Testable Accessibility Guidance".  WCAG focuses on ensuring that the underlying code and visuals of a web page/site meet a set of checkpoints. As Steve explained so well, how the various assistive technologies decide to parse and report this information is intentionally NOT covered in WCAG.

Here in the US among the accessibility professionals I regularly interact with, differences in screen reader behavior are well know and sometimes accounted for, depending on the client, project budget, and organization's desire to achieve only conformance or actual usability. In my shop we do an initial run through of each page we audit with a screen reader (NVDA) but will only write up a defect based on the code, unless it is related to dynamic announcements being presented with an aria-live property in which case we do verify with the screen reader that the announcement is successful. There are a large number of issues that we regularly see, some of which are able to be discovered with a screen reader and that do not map to WCAG Success Criteria, and we list those as usability.

To your point that a comprehensive audit is needed because relying on screen reader testing does not capture all accessibility issues... You are absolutely correct. In the same way that automated testing can catch 20%-60% of issues (depending on the tool, who is doing the reporting, and other factors) screen readers can only catch so many issues. NVDA (or any other screen reader) would have nothing to 'say' about failing contrast, the use of color, text spacing, text resizing, reflow, and on and on.

I wish you luck in your fight to get Infosys to fully audit and remediate their software.

Best regards,
Juliette