RE: Screen reader output when focusing on questions in a complex form

From what you describe, it sounds like the form could benefit from improvements in design rather than conformance band aids …

how does a user remove an uploaded document, for example?

I’d recommend visually and programmatically hiding the type=”file”, adding a button element with an appropriate text node, and firing a click at the type=”file” when this new button is activated …

this provides a consistent UI across browsers and can make file upload more secure …

the uploaded file name could be used in a text node for this new button so as to drop the uploaded file as in ‘remove xyz’ and then restoring to it’s original …

just my two cents worth

this makes the UI consistent across all user agents