Re: Inaccessibility of EN301-549 (PDF format) Standards for screen reader users

Hi all,

ISO has similar (but different) problems with their PDF publishing. For example, in ISO standards (similar to ETSI, ISO also publishes in PDF) list items are tagged as paragraphs.

Under special arrangement with ISO, ISO 14289 is (still) the only ISO standard to conform to ISO 14289 (PDF/UA).

We (the PDF Association) are currently finalizing a report for ISO that assesses, at a high level, ISO products and processes for accessibility consistent with ISO’s Guide 71.

https://www.iso.org/standard/57385.html

I encourage you to review Guide 71 (which, unlike most ISO publications, is freely available) for similar purposes…. and let ISO (as well as IEC) know of your findings.

Duff Johnson

ISO 32000 & ISO 14289, Project Leader
PDF Association, CEO

https://www.pdfa.org