Re: Why testing text-only resizing?

On 15/03/2022 17:18, Steve Green wrote:
> Text-only resizing is not required for a WCAG audit. The normative text
> of Success Criterion 1.4.4 (Resize text) states “Except for captions and
> images of text, text can be resized without assistive technology up to
> 200 percent without loss of content or functionality.”

Indeed. And I'd join the dots here and say that the easy checks seem
rather out-of-step and in need of some updating here, as they do give
the impression that text-only sizing is the thing that's required
because the "Resize text checks" specifically only cover text-only
resizing. If anything, I'd say these days zooming is the simplest and
most reliable test, and it matches what (anecdotally) most users that
require larger text will be using (as historically most sites didn't
work correctly with text-only resizing).

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux