From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, February 1, 2022 8:02 AM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Invalid HTML versus not(?) failing 4.1.1: Parsing

Ce message a été envoyé par un expéditeur externe. Veuillez faire preuve de prudence et ne pas cliquer sur les liens ou ouvrir les pièces jointes à moins de reconnaître l'expéditeur et de savoir que le contenu est sûr.

This message was sent from an external sender. Please exercise caution and do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

On 01/02/2022 12:28, Bristow, Alan wrote:

> But I am disappointed that a poorly coded CMS, for example, may produce
> swathes of clearly invalid HTML, and a carefully coded CMF or CMS that
> produces squeaky clean perfect HTML, will be measured as equal in terms
> of merit by the manager who just wants to know, did it pass or fail WCAG.

WCAG is not a stick that you can beat developers with though. It needs
to address actual real-world accessibility issues.

If you want to make the case that valid HTML is "better" (in some
handwavy vague "because well, it IS" way) then sure...but that's not
what WCAG sets out to address.

I'm reminded of my old days of WCAG 1.0 testing, and the amount of time
wasted reporting on absolutely trivial issues like "you used & rather
than &amp;" that had literally *zero* impact on anything...and then
trying to justify failures with hypothetical "yes, in this case, that's
not actually a problem, but imagine if you had other validation errors
that DID have an impact..."

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux