Re: Buttons styled as links and links styled as buttons

On 19/11/2021 15:14, Patrick H. Lauke wrote:

> Also, this is where it gets very squishy trying to normatively pin down
> 1.3.1, and trying to set testable and unambiguous parameters for styling
> ... at what point is something looking more like a button than a link?
> It can be very subjective.

Further blurring the line are situations like navigation bars on
websites ... traditionally, any links in those omit underline styling,
or mostly any other kind of very explicit "this is a link" styling. But
we don't fail those (generally at least) because visually, from their
position/grouping and through habit, users understand that they're links.

Conversely, we often see buttons that are styled so they don't have the
traditional border/background and boxy look. Sometimes even lacking any
kind of indication at all other than the text on a transparent
background - maybe with an extra little icon or something if we're
lucky. Again, where do we normatively draw the line there to say whether
that does or doesn't look like a button, or a link, or static text, or...

Anyway, I think you catch my drift by now...
--
Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux