From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2021 12:48 PM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: 1.3.3 sensory characteristics

On 14/09/2021 10:10, Ms J wrote:
> Hello
>
> Where a multiplication text character symbol × has been used as the
> label of a close button with no other alternative (so read with JAWS
> as ‘times button’), does this fall under F26: failure due to using a
> graphical symbol alone to convey information? Is it possible to
> clarify what is considered a graphical symbol please?
Note that F26 has been updated for 2.1
https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Techniques/failures/F26 to refocus it
(rightly) on *instructions* (which is what 1.3.3 actually refers to - in short, the SC doesn't say "you can't use shape, color, sound, or other sensory characteristics per se", but rather "if you have *instructions* that reference things by those characteristics only, that's a failure").

See related discussions on this

https://github.com/w3c/wcag/issues/258
https://github.com/w3c/wcag/pull/767
https://github.com/w3c/wcag/pull/776