Re: aria-expanded, is escape key enough?

Hi Bryan,
I think it is very common knowledge that the Escape key closes a dialog, pop-up menu, or pop-up listbox.

What we do for our simulations for learning is provide a general “Keyboard Shortcuts” dialog that is available to everyone. This makes sure that learners who need the information know where to find it, and also helps learners curious about keyboard navigation learn the basics.

For us, the “Keyboard Shortcuts” dialog contains both simulation-specific actions and a short list of “Basic Actions”. The button for the dialog is in the same place for each simulation.

Here’s a link to 12 simulations with alternative input https://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulations/filter?type=html&a11yFeatures=alternative-input&sort=alpha&view=list

And other features, too.

You find the button to the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog in the bottom navbar, described as “Sim Resources” section if using a screen reader.

I hope that is a helpful example of one way to address the issue.

Taliesin Smith
~.~.~.~.~
Inclusive Design Researcher
PhET Interactive Simulations