Re: web.dev managed focus and WCAG

On 06/07/2021 10:49, Mattia Gentilini wrote:
> The Lighthouse accessibility report lists the following between the
> items to be checked manually:
>
>   * The user's focus is directed to new content added to the page (
>     https://web.dev/managed-focus/ <https://web.dev/managed-focus/> )
>
> While the meaning and the importance of this item are clear to me, I'm
> not sure which WCAG 2.1 criterion, if any, could be met by following
> this suggestion. web.dev <http://web.dev> gives no links, and while the
> other items in the list can be easily linked to a WCAG 2.1 criterion, I
> have doubts on this one.
>
> Can someone help? Thanks in advance :)

I seem to remember this being discussed previously on this list (or
perhaps I'm getting confused with WebAIM). While there was no unanimous
conclusion, at least some auditors fail mismanaged focus (e.g. focus not
correctly moving to a modal dialog when it's opened, or not returning
the focus back to the control that originally opened the dialog, etc)
under 2.4.3 Focus Order
https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/focus-order.html

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke