Re: Question on video accessibility

Hi Kiran

I would like to share how I approached a similar situation.

Our team created a video to accompany our entry to an awards presentation, running 1:06 long.

There is no spoken content, but a succession of short video clips, logos from different agencies, shots showing webpages scrolling on a desktop screen, with text that appear on the screen and music in the background.

For this reason, since there was no spoken content, there was no caption on this video.
However with all the imagery and the text that appeared, and based on WCAG 2.1, this type of video, in general, would need an audio description.

Level AA 1.2.5 states that if there is visual content in the video that needs to be described and there are enough gaps in the dialogue of the video to squeeze in audio description, then audio description must be provided.

Upon reviewing the video, the style of presentation is quick-paced and would not have allowed enough time for the audio description in the time each item on the screen change. There is text appearing on the screen while images transition to the next.

Since the video does not have enough gaps to provide an audio description, we instead strived to meet Level A requirements 1.2.3, for video which has visual content not described by the audio, then you can provide an audio description or a media alternative, in which case we created a text transcript.

So we when we submitted the video we provided a text transcript.

At the end of my reply I have copied in a section of the transcript for the first 25 seconds of the video, which includes the text that appeared on screen and a description of what is showing/happening in the background in italics.

Sharing to you Kiran as an idea.

I used this article by Vision Australia on this topic as a reference: https://www.visionaustralia.org/community/news/2019-08-23/wcag-confusion-around-audio-description-0

And to the W3C WAI community, I’d be happy to hear from you what you think of this approach.

Thanks.

Kind regards
Charissa

Charissa Ramirez
Asst Advisor Digital Products, NSW Government Digital Channels
Customer, Delivery and Transformation |  Department of Customer Service

(Music)

COVID-19 changed our lives rapidly and the public needed to be informed.

(A health worker checks the temperature of a young woman while another fills up a health questionnaire.)

To help, NSW Government agencies collaborated to create nsw.gov.au/covid-19.

(Different NSW Government icons including NSW Health, Premier & Cabinet, Treasury, Service NSW, Education, SafeWork and Customer Service appear onscreen.)

It’s a single source of truth based on customer needs and not government structure.

(COVID-19 homepage on the NSW Government website appears and as it starts to scroll down, it shows quick links, statistics and other information on COVID-19.)

You can search for testing clinics.

(The postcode 2000 is typed into the search box to find nearest testing clinics.)

(The next frames transition to the COVID Safe businesses page, a restaurant staff member cleaning a table for the next customer, and a person placing the ‘We’re COVID Safe’ sticker on a door.) ……