Re: on-page controls considered bad practice?

On 09/03/2021 15:22, Guy Hickling wrote:

> The websites that most often do this, and which probably number among
> the ones you've seen, are the websites that are running a so-called
> "accessibility overlay". For a monthly payment by the website owner
> these overlays claim to do two things: a) provide web users with a whole
> list of accessibility customisation facilities

The one my local council uses is also there to cover their community
languages requirement, although you need quite a lot of English to
discover that the "Speak" button does this, and it uses Google
Translate, so I suspect some of the translations are garbled.  (It can't
actually speak quite a lot of the languages offered, and used locally.)

I'd generally consider this sort of tool, and the more general subject
of the thread, as opt outs from actually thinking about accessibility.