RE: Handling a long description where a 'complex' image appears as a thumbnail link

I’d just add that thumbnails do give the sighted reader an idea of what’s on the page – otherwise you would just have a placeholder page – so there is some value in going to that effort to create a thumbnail – else it would not be done.   Types of things that might be seen from a thumbnail include blank pages, table of contents, presence of a chart, page of text, table, etc.  So they communicate high level features that help people quickly locate pages.  You can’t tell what’s in the table or chart – but that it is present.  That is why I would label the alt text for them in addition to communicating what the link does.

Jonathan

From: Louise Lister <Louise.Lister@iop.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 9, 2021 8:51 AM
To: Peter Weil <peter.weil@wisc.edu>; Bristow, Alan <Alan.Bristow@elections.ca>; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: Handling a long description where a 'complex' image appears as a thumbnail link

Typically, they pictorially represent scientific principles which for the most part are best explained with a few more words than an alt text can provide. At this point (as a thumb) they probably hint at what’s beyond. There are other call to action links on the pages where they operate as thumbnails too. And I want to be consistent in how we treat thumbnails so we don’t end up with a lopsided page- a few with alt texts, a few which don’t.

Thanks for this. I am discovering that rules take you so far, and then it’s a bit of a judgement call.

Kind regards
Louise