Re: { Sticky Bar } 400% & Keyboard Navigation

After the Reflow criterion, the web has improved considerably, but sticky
objects are the biggest obstacle of using web pages today. I think they
should all be collapsable no exception. This is especially true for text
heavy pages.

If the page presents textual content like Stack Overflow or the W3C, then
obstruction is significant. At 400% you get at most 15 words per page. If
you are considering a page that exists to communicate information, then a
30%  loss means that you reduce essential content to less than 10 words.
50% and you have reduced essential content to less than 8 words per page.
That is more than a little difficult.

In well constructed pages like Stack Overflow and W3C pages these issues
are easy to fix, but less professional sites make removal very difficult.

I think the problem is that these pages fail to operate in landscape mode.
They assume that low horizontal size means portrait mode and they have
plenty of room for a large sticky element.

In any case, users should have a way to make sticky elements go away
without having to hack the page.

I believe that a page whose main function is to convey written content will
fail when 30% of the page is taken by sticky objects.

When more than that is taken then the reader must plow through an article 2
lines at a time where each line holds between 3 and 4 words. Nothing is as
bad as horizontal scrolling, but 2 lines per page is very disruptive. If I
can't hack a page like that, I just don't read it.
Best Wayne