Re: { Sticky Bar } 400% & Keyboard Navigation

On 02/03/2021 16:08, Chris O'Brien wrote:

> Question regarding the above: in your opinion what is the threshold?
> This pattern presents significant challenges during reflow, and works
> directly against those who need this accommodation (as you know). I find
> this one particularly frustrating because it is clearly an anti-pattern
> yet is it relegated to advisory status.

One follows from the other really: there's no easy-to-agree-on hard
cut-off point where you can say "if it covers X% of the content, this is
a fail, otherwise a pass", unless we make up an arbitrary number (which
makes little sense, since it would then lack any kind of nuance ... what
if something only covers a very tiny amount of content, but THAT
particular bit of content is actually really (subjectively) important to
the user?

Because it's not a simple binary value that can be agreed on, it's much
tougher to make it a hard fail condition. Arguably, when things like
this have been decided in the past (say, the cut-off for what is good vs
bad color contrast), there's always edge cases where failing/passing
just seems very arbitrary...

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux