RE: SC_1.4.12: Text Spacing_Scenario based doubt [SEC=OFFICIAL]

Hi Ragupathy,

Great question!

From the screen shots, I think you may have 2 violations here for truncated or overlapping content.

·         1.4.12 Text Spacing -  related failure F104<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Techniques/failures/F104>.

·         1.4.4 Resize Text - related failures are F69<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Techniques/failures/F69> and F80<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Techniques/failures/F80>.

Even though the  screenshots you have inserted does not show any overlapping content, this may cause confusion for the user to distinguish content of edit field & the label as the position of the floating label & text in edit field is slightly off.

If we are to look at the root cause, overlapping and truncating occurs when we are not using consistent measurements. For example, font-size is set in relative measurement (in percentage, em or rem) & the container size is in absolute measurement (pts or pixels) or vice versa.

To fix this use consistent relative measurement for width, height, padding, font-size in rem. Also make sure the CSS property overflow is not set to hidden.

You can test 1.4.4 Resize Text with the browser’s settings.

If using Microsoft Edge or Chrome,

1.    Go to settings > appearance.

2.    Change the Font size to Very Large or Very small.
You can also change Custom font-size to 2 times the standard font size (For example 32).

3.    Check if all content of the page resize consistently. This includes labels, placeholders, text inside form fields, buttons, form containers itself.

To view how it’s expected to work, check Bootstrap v5.0 document has an example floating label <https://getbootstrap.com/docs/5.0/forms/floating-labels/> which has width, height, padding, font-size in rem.

Hope this helps!

Thanks and regards,
Herin