Re: accessible name, aria-label and speech input

On 13/01/2021 09:20, Kazuhito Kidachi wrote:

> 2021年1月13日(水) 17:53 Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk
> <mailto:redux@splintered.co.uk>>:

>     more</a>
>
>     all pass, as "read more" is present in the accessible name.
>

> In case those three text links are on the same webpage, how can sighted
> users who use voice recognition softwares open one specific link by
> voice? Is that okay even if they have no idea about aria-label? I just
> don't know, since I'm not familiar with such softwares.

Sorry, wasn't implying that they're all on the same page. I meant those
as three separate naive examples. Ignore this aspect for this discussion.

>     specification</a>
>
>     visible text "Download specification", but accessible name is "Download
>     gizmo specification".
>

> I imagine that users of voice recognition softwares need to speak aloud
> the accessible name i.e. "Download gizmo specification" to open the
> link. Maybe this is my misunderstanding?

Yes they would have to, but as the "gizmo" word is visually hidden,
voice recognition software users wouldn't know what the actual
accessible name is, so they'd say something (to paraphrase) "Click
'download specification'" and it would likely fail since that link's
accessible name does not contain the string "download specification".

>       From the example, there

>     hike">[Read more...]</a>
>
>     passes because the text "read more" is present in the accessible name
>     (as punctuation/symbols are ignored in the context of this SC - see
>     https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/label-in-name.html
>     <https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/label-in-name.html>
>     "Symbolic
>     text characters" and "Punctuation and capitalization").
>

> My native language is Japanese, so I wonder whether the rule can work in
> any other natural language.

Good question. This is likely something that should be expanded.
Thinking for instance about variations for, say, German where characters
with Umlauts - ä ö ü - or the double "s" - ß - can also be written
differently (ae, oe, ue, ss). I can imagine it being even more complex
for non-latin languages.

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux